Reverie


Reverie - n. a state of being pleasantly lost in one's thoughts; a daydream or fantasy; a visionary or impractical idea

"To make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee,—
One clover, and a bee,
And revery.

The revery alone will do
If bees are few." - Emily Dickinson

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tasting the Hive


If you have read any of my earlier posts, you know that I am overwhelmed by the sensory aspects of beekeeping.  The fragrance and feel of a hive are incredible, but the tastes are even more complex. 

This is a capped queen cell, an elongated wax structure that protrudes from the frame.  It is large enough to accomodate a growing queen larva and a luxurious amount of royal jelly, the magical substance that changes a bee's destiny from ordinary worker to revered queen.  Humans believe it gives them magical powers, too.

 

Are you brave?  I am learning to be.  This is royal jelly, fresh from a destroyed queen cell Beeman removed from a frame.  Like everything else from the hive, it is best experienced raw.  I will say that it is an acquired taste, slightly tangy and a bit spicy.  I'll stick to honey, thank you.  I can get my magic in other ways. 



Oh, look.  How did that happen?  If you think I could pass this frame by without taking a taste for myself, you overestimate my willpower when it comes to honey, especially straight from the hive.  You should become a beekeeper so you can try it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment