Reverie


Reverie - n. a state of being pleasantly lost in one's thoughts; a daydream or fantasy; a visionary or impractical idea

"To make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee,—
One clover, and a bee,
And revery.

The revery alone will do
If bees are few." - Emily Dickinson

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Must. Not. Taste.


I peeked in my hives today.  Just the honey supers, and just for a moment.  It's best if I leave them alone right now when they are so busy gathering nectar, but I can't help myself.  The wire grid in this photo is a queen excluder, placed between the top most brood box and the first honey super.  The bars are spaced to allow workers to pass through, but not the larger queen.  Most people prefer their honey without eggs and larvae mixed in.  Five of the eight frames in this box are full of honey already! 

These are two frames stacked next to each other.  You can see the starter strip of wax on the foundationless frame, and the wires that will reinforce the comb for use in a honey extractor.  The bees are just beginning to draw out comb on these frames.

Here is one of the second-hand frames Beeman gave me, hanging from a frame rest on the outside of the hive.  A frame rest is a bee photographer's best friend when they are working solo.  The entire frame is completely filled with honey.  I really want to taste it.

Here is a closer look.  The wax comb is older and darker than on my newer frames, so the honey appears darker.  They still have to fill the cells a bit before they cap them.  You really have no idea how badly I want to taste this. 

Here is honey being stored in newly drawn comb on a brand new frame.  The wax is white so the honey appears lighter.  Look how fuzzy and young some of the bees are.  They are taking their job very seriously.  It's taking every ounce of my almost non-existent self control not to taste this honey.  It will be worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment