Reverie


Reverie - n. a state of being pleasantly lost in one's thoughts; a daydream or fantasy; a visionary or impractical idea

"To make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee,—
One clover, and a bee,
And revery.

The revery alone will do
If bees are few." - Emily Dickinson

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Bloom Phenology - Late June



Bees are early risers, just like me.  As soon as the first rays of sun hit the face of the hive they are busy looking for nectar.  Some current favorites...

 

Borage.  It's irresistable to bees and reseeds itself wildly.  I give it a free pass to grow wherever and however it pleases.  Normally I am very methodical in my garden planning, but this year I am letting the garden decide what it wants to do.  Apparently the theme is  "reckless abandon". 



Both german and roman chamomile...


...and blackberries!  I've already posted this photo, but I'm doing it again because I love it.  Blackberries are the drug of choice for bees right now, and this one was absolutely drunk on nectar.  She rested on the petal for an eternity with her head buried deep.  Bee bliss.


Foxglove.  I get impatient with biennials, but foxglove are worth it.  Honeybees don't seem to like going all the way inside, unlike their badass bumblebee friends who completely disappear within. 

Sea Holly.  This is supposed to be a good bee plant, but I have yet to see any using it.  The blackberries must be more appealing.



Bees don't care about this one, but I do...Kent Beauty oregano.  The Thyme Garden grows these and right now they are at their prime.  Very light, papery blooms that are similar to hops.  These are very sweet, demure flowers (unlike that naughty peony) and last forever when cut. 

And now the sun has fully risen and they are ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment