Reverie


Reverie - n. a state of being pleasantly lost in one's thoughts; a daydream or fantasy; a visionary or impractical idea

"To make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee,—
One clover, and a bee,
And revery.

The revery alone will do
If bees are few." - Emily Dickinson

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Bloom Phenology - Or, What the Bees Love this Week

Angelica archangelica

We have been enjoying our first week of truly warm spring weather, and the flowers and bees have responded.  As part of my apprentice beekeeper training it is suggested that I keep a bloom phenology record, and what better way to do it than with photographs from my garden?


Angelica, covered in bees and beneficial insects

This post should probably be called "A Love Letter to Angelica". I love herbs with a good story, and Angelica archangelica has a history littered with intriguing references to angels, witchcraft, and protection from evil.  Scandinavian poets used to wear crowns of angelica for inspiration.  Like other members of the Umbelliferae, the bees love it, which is reason enough.  It’s a biennial, and mine is about four feet tall now, although I’ve seen them grow much taller.  This plant will always have a place in my garden. 

Here are some other bee favorites I have observed this week:

Wisteria sinensis
All varieties of culinary thyme

Bees don't have a care in the world when chives are blooming

Lavandula stoechas - Spanish lavender


...And various offerings from "The Garden of Bolting Greens".  I always let some Brassicas go to seed for the insects, they can't get enough of them.  These beauties are 6 feet tall!  I noticed some early blackberry blossoms opening, and when they do the real show will begin. 


No comments:

Post a Comment