Reverie


Reverie - n. a state of being pleasantly lost in one's thoughts; a daydream or fantasy; a visionary or impractical idea

"To make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee,—
One clover, and a bee,
And revery.

The revery alone will do
If bees are few." - Emily Dickinson

Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Bee Jar


Having my own hive is a dream that has lived in me for years.  I am endlessly fascinated by bees and the skill of their keepers.  Harvesting honey would be amazing, but secondary.

I just want bees. 

Last summer I was looking out to the garden, feeling the frustration of wanting them so badly yet thinking it was impossible.  I didn’t know anyone who kept bees, or even where to start.

And there in front of me, sitting on the edge of a bowl, was a little honeybee.  She was dead and had gone unnoticed until now.  How she came into my kitchen and rested in that place is a mystery.  But at that moment I decided even if I jumped into beekeeping alone, inexperienced, and unprepared,         
I was going to do it. 

I still have that sweet little bee, kept in a jar where I found her that day. 
Although I like to think maybe she found me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment